As you consider what you are looking for as the next step in your career, what are the top three things that are important to you? The most important step in managing your career is to know yourself. This is true whether you are just beginning your career, or are well-established. Taking the time to focus on knowing yourself better will help you make decisions about your career and professional development that will lead to long-term satisfaction. If you skip this step, you run the risk of making career decisions without regard to what you really want, which can lead to dissatisfaction with your career.
What Pablo did? Very wisely he did not use all his time to get income, but he used his time to build a pipeline. He knew that pipeline will bring ongoing income as long as the water flowed. Ongoing income that will multiple each time.
What most important things for a career?
- Nothing - I am content in my current role and not interested in anything else
- Work for a great manager
- Find a role that is better aligned with my skills
- Improve my general business skills (e.g., developing strategy, managing budget)
- Find a good mentor
- Taking on a more visible role
- Doing something that I am truly passionate about
- Work on products that have a great impact
- Improve my soft skills (e.g., presentation, communications)
- Greater impact on the business
- Improve my skills as a leader
- Opportunity to manage people
- Opportunity to do an assignment outside my current location
- Gain clarity on how my role aligns with company goals
- More autonomy
- Work with a great team
- Opportunity to work in a different department
- New challenges
- Increase compensation
- Improve technical skills specific to my profession
- Take on a more influential role
- The balance between work and life
- Advancement (Promotion)
- Support for innovation and risk-taking
- Build new relationships/ increase my network
- Job security/stability
- Make sure the career has the potential to remain viable
- Priority and core tasks on the project
- Start Networking With Confidence
- Overcoming your fear or shyness with a good team.
As part of career planning, it is important that you clarify what motivates you to do your best work. Knowing what motivates you can help you design a career path that provides energy and excitement about your work. Find resources to help you manage your career, including how to identify your business interests, professional values, and skills. Find resources to help clarify what is important to you and what career path you want to pursue. Learn why it is important to clarify what motivates you most so that you can plan a rewarding career for yourself. Every person has 24 hours per day. Age, health are important things to consider. Having defined career goals helps you focus and prioritize your development efforts—and research shows that you are more likely to achieve a goal when you write it down. You can expect your career goals may change every few years as your career evolves and as you are exposed to new opportunities and experiences. Find out how getting to know yourself better will help you make career decisions that will lead to long-term satisfaction. We should not use all our time to get a bigger income and we don't need to use larger buckets.